51 immigrants were found dead in San Antonio; There were “layers of bodies” in the tractor trailer

Authorities said Tuesday that at least 51 migrants have died after a tractor abandoned in the back of a trailer found Monday in San Antonio. More than a dozen people were taken to local hospitals with heat-related injuries.

Federal law enforcement officials have confirmed to CBS News Homeland Security and Justice Correspondent Nicole Skanga that this appears to be the worst human trafficking case in modern American history.

During a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Bexar County officials in Texas, including San Antonio, said the death toll had risen to 51. The dead included 39 men and 12 women, district spokesman Tom Payne told reporters. Not all of the victims have been identified, and some of the victims may be under the age of 18, he said.

“This job will take long days, if not,” Peine told reporters.

On Tuesday morning, Mexican Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrat said On Twitter, Citing U.S. officials, said the victims included 22 Mexicans, 7 Guatemalans and two Hondurans. Investigators are yet to determine the nationality of those who died or were admitted to the hospital, Sganga reports.

Three people believed to be part of a suspected kidnapping plot have been detained by the Federal Agency for Homeland Security Investigations, Camilo Montoya-Calves, spokesman for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement or ICE, CBS News.

Authorities said 12 adults and four children were taken to local hospitals for treatment on Monday. Baptist Hospital confirmed to CBS News on Tuesday that two of its patients had died.

During a news conference Tuesday, County Commissioner Rebecca Clay-Flores said the county’s hospital system was treating two patients, a 23 – year – old woman from Guatemala and a teenage boy.

See also  Twitter Deletes Kanye West Tweet For Violating Twitter Rules - The Hollywood Reporter

“We ask for prayers for him,” Clay-Flores said. He said the woman’s health was improving.

Police Chief William McManus told a news conference Monday that officers received a call from a worker who called for help at 5:50 p.m., local time. The worker found several dead bodies inside the trailer, McManus said.

San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood said all 16 people taken to the hospital were found unconscious, although they were “weak” and could not leave the trailer. He said everyone was “hot to the touch” and suffered from heat-related injuries such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

He said there were no signs of water or air conditioning in the truck, and officials said it was unclear how long the group had been in the truck before they were found.

Authorities said the victims were mixed men and women of different ages.

Hood said the first respondents would be explained to help implement what they saw.

“You should not open a truck and look at the layers of bodies there,” he said. “None of us come to work imagining that.”

San Antonio Mayor Ron Niranberg Called Situation “A terrible human tragedy.”

Law enforcement officials told CBS News that Homeland Security Investigations is leading an investigation into the incident and will work with the San Antonio Police Department.

See also  June 22, 2022 Afghanistan earthquake news

The DHS said in a statement: “The tragedy near San Antonio is horrific.

An ICE spokesman said in a statement that Homeland Security had responded to the scene after receiving a call from the police department. A spokesman said more details would be released as the investigation continues.

More than 20 ambulances responded to the scene, CBS affiliate said KENS-TV Reported.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.