DK Metcalf, Seattle Seahawks agree to three-year, $72 million extension

RENTON, Wash. — The Seattle Seahawks and star wide receiver TK Metcalf They have agreed to a three-year, $72 million extension that includes $58.2 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Thursday.

The guaranteed total includes a $30 million signing bonus, the highest ever for a wide receiver, the source said.

The deal brings a quick end to Metcalf’s two-day “hold in” and locks up a top performer for the Seahawks’ future. Metcalf, 24, has one year and just under $4 million remaining on his rookie deal and is now signed through 2025.

His extension’s $24 million in new-money average makes Metkopf the Seahawks’ highest-paid player, even surpassing safety Jamal Adams $17.5 million, and now cements him as the new face of the franchise Russell Wilson And Bobby Wagner are gone

Metcalf et al Stephen Dix The Bills are now tied for the sixth-highest average annual salary among NFL receivers.

The three-year extension is long, less than the Seahawks typically prefer on big-money second contracts, and it puts Metcalf on track to become a free agent at age 28. It came with a shorter wait than some Seahawks. Recent megadeals not finalized until training camp

Metcalf announced that he arrived at camp on time Tuesday, but did not participate in the first two practices as his agent, Torey Tandy, and the Seahawks continued to negotiate. Coach Pete Carroll clarified that his absence was contract-related and not due to Metcalf’s surgically repaired foot.

Metcalf’s future was somewhat uncertain this offseason as the receiver market skyrocketed after general manager John Schneider publicly expressed sticker shock over some megadeals. The Seahawks received calls from teams interested in Metcalf in the wake of those comments, but Seattle was not interested in trading him, according to a source who told prosecutors.

See also  2022 Charles Schwab Challenge Leaderboard: Burdis burns Force Playoff with Scheffler for fourth Tour victory

Despite trade speculation and rising WR salaries, the Seahawks expressed confidence both publicly and behind the scenes that they would sign Metcalf before the season. Even after Metcalf’s unresolved contract prompted the receiver to skip last month’s mandatory minicamp, the team deemed it an unexcused absence.

Carroll noted that since he and Schneider arrived in 2010, the Seahawks have had a strong track record of extending players long-term.

“I’m not less confident, no,” Carroll said after Metcalf’s minicamp no-show in June. “We’ve been going through this for years. It’s a challenging time. We have a lot of top guys who have gone through this process, and how did it work for us? We figured it out at the right time. John is as experienced as you can get in dealing with these things, and great for DK. Got representation and DK is a heck of a kid. But there’s no way to avoid feeling this first-hand, first-hand experience. The experience of it all. … He’s a remarkable person. He’s an amazing player. He’s got a lot to offer the world and everybody, and he’s gone where we can’t. I don’t want to miss this opportunity to find out. So let’s do our best.”

Metcalf had 216 catches for 3,170 yards and 29 touchdowns in his first three seasons. He made his lone Pro Bowl in 2020 after breaking Steve Largent’s single-season franchise record with 1,303 receiving yards. After suffering a life-threatening neck injury in college, Metcalf never missed a game in his NFL career.

He spent most of last season with a broken leg that required surgery. Carroll said Wednesday that Metcalf has passed his condition and is doing well.

See also  Pelosi affirms solidarity with Taiwan as China conducts military exercises and expresses anger

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.