Earthquake in China: Death toll rises to 65 after earthquake in southwestern province

Aftershocks were still felt on Tuesday, a day after the United States Geological Survey (USGS) said a 6.6-magnitude earthquake struck southwest of Sichuan’s capital Chengdu at 1pm on Monday, state media said.

State media reported that 248 people have been injured so far and at least 12 are missing.

Pictures show rescue workers carrying injured people over makeshift bridges in Luding County, near the epicenter.

The epicenter was 43 kilometers (27 miles) southeast of Kangding, a city of about 100,000 people, the USGS said. It is estimated that more than one million residents in the surrounding areas experienced moderate shaking after the earthquake.

Images emerged showing some homes severely damaged in the quake, with entire buildings collapsed into piles of bricks and wooden beams.

Houses collapse in Luding County, Ganxi Province, Sichuan Province, China on September 5, 2022.

According to China’s State Council, China activated a Level 3 emergency response and sent rescue workers to Luding County on Monday. Chinese broadcaster CGTN reported that rescue workers were helping clear roads blocked by earthquake-triggered landslides.

Sichuan, a province of 84 million people, faced a very challenging summer before the powerful earthquake. In the last two months, the province has endured Drought And its Worst heat in 60 years.

The landlocked area is prone to earthquakes due to the Longmenshan Trench that runs through the Sichuan Mountains.

A In 2008, Sichuan was hit by a 7.9 magnitude earthquake It was one of the most destructive in the country. Nearly 90,000 people were killed and the tremors were felt in cities 1,450 kilometers (900 mi) away.
Last yearA 6.0-magnitude earthquake struck Sichuan, killing three people and injuring 60, state media reported at the time.
See also  Kentucky floods kill at least 16, governor warns toll 'could be much higher'

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.