Prosecutors accused him of being an accomplice The murder of thousands of JewsPolitical prisoners and other minorities persecuted by the Nazis in the Saxenhausen concentration camp from 1942 to 1945.
“You willingly supported this mass destruction through your actions,” a judge told the man on Tuesday, whose verdict was read at the gym in Brandenburg und der Havel, where he lives.
Internationally recognized man Joseph Shoots And Joseph S. in Germany due to privacy laws He has repeatedly denied the allegations According to Deutsche Valle, he was an agricultural laborer in another part of the country at the time. He was not identified at his sentencing hearing.
“I do not know why I’ve here,” Schutz said Monday, the last day of his trial. According to To the Agencies-France Press. His lawyer, Stephen Watercomb, did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Washington Post. Watercamp previously told AFP Appeal a guilty verdict.
According to Deutsche Welle, it’s Schuetz Senior person who has tried so far In Germany for complicity in Nazi crimes during World War II.
As The Post previously statedSchuetz’s investigation and recent sentencing “reflects how law enforcement officers are running out of time to bring some closure to survivors of the aging Holocaust and their families as more Nazi workers and their victims die of old age.”
Throughout the trial of Schutz, which began in October, was repeatedly suspended due to his ill health, with prosecutors relying on old identification documents to prosecute him as a Nazi guard in Saxenhausen between 1942 and 1945. Helped to kill various groups of prisoners by firing and poison gas, According to To AFP.
Tens of thousands of people died SaxenhausenCompulsory labor and death camp for Jews, Soviet prisoners of war and other persecuted minorities Was shot And gas chamber. The camp was liberated in April 1945 by Soviet forces.
Schutz said he did not know what was going on in the concentration camp and gave conflicting accounts of his whereabouts during World War II, AFP reported.
According to the German news agency dpa, “the court has ruled that, contrary to what you say, you worked as a guard at the concentration camp for about three years,” Chief Justice Wood Lechtermann told Schutz.
A German court set a precedent in 2011 with sentencing John DemjanjukA 91-year-old man has been charged with complicity in 28,000 murders while working as a security guard at the Sofipore concentration camp in Poland.
The court’s decision largely depended on whether the defendant worked in the Nazi death camp where the crimes took place. Prosecutors have previously had to prove that the accused has committed certain crimes against someone – this is a far cry from considering events that allegedly took place decades ago. Demjanjuk, who Died in 2012He denied being a guard.
Elderly people accused of being former Nazis are generally not expected to enjoy imprisonment, some say Argue Prosecuting and convicting them can restore some justice to the victims’ descendants and ensure that their crimes are not confessed.
Andrew Jeong contributed to this report.
“Total coffee maven. Extreme web geek. Award-winning explorer. Travel aficionado.”